THE MAN WHO STARTED IT ALL
- Born in 1938 in Mount Albert, Canada.
- Graduated from the University of British Columbia.
- Alex was a self-employed art consultant and avid sailor.
- Tired of hats that blew off his head, sank when they fell into the water or shrunk when they got wet, he decided to oversee the creation of his own ideal sailing hat.
- After several months of research and the assistance of a sail maker, he designed and made a hat for himself. When sailors asked for one, he made and sold hats as a hobby.
- The great success of the Tilley Hat led to the formation of Tilley Endurables, makers of Tilley Hats and travel clothing, designed and manufactured in Canada and enjoyed around the world.
- Alex Tilley is actively involved with Street Kids International, Rotary Club of Bracebridge, South Muskoka Memorial Hospital in Bracebridge, Sir Edmund Hillary Foundation, and the support of projects by the archaeological branch of the Royal Ontario Museum among other charitable support efforts.
- Tilley was honoured with the Sir Edmund Hillary Foundation’s first President’s Award in recognition of Tilley’s 15 year relationship with the Foundation.
- For the future, Alex continues to set his sights on creating innovative hats and clothing that encompasses the every-changing needs of travellers – that not only keeps up with these needs, but exceeds their expectations.